“We just think there will always be plenty of time for boxing, for sporting events, which we love,” Events DC interim president and CEO Samuel R. Thomas Jr. said. during a telephone interview. “But this is a time of mourning, of remembering, of honoring a man who was loved by many throughout the community.”
Buddy Harrison, 62, was shot dead Saturday morning outside his home along the 2700 block of SE 30th Street, DC police say.
The postponement of ‘Beltway Battles: Round Three’ comes amid an ongoing police investigation into the shooting. The suspects were described as three men dressed in black and carrying handguns. Homicide detectives said they were looking for a white Kia Optima with Ohio license plate JAU 3816.
Hernandez-Harrison intends to fight after father’s shooting
Hernandez-Harrison (34-0-1, 20 KOs), whose last fight was in February 2020, said earlier this week he intended to fight Saturday to honor his father, a fixture on the scene. district boxing.
“He was extremely excited for me to fight,” Hernandez-Harrison said of his father. “If I don’t fight on Saturday, when am I going to fight, you know what I mean? I put my body in hell. I didn’t want it all to be for nothing.
Harrison, a longtime regular in the district boxing scene, taught Hernandez-Harrison how to box from the age of 2. Since then, the son has had his father in his corner, including during this last training camp during which Hernandez-Harrison lost 70 pounds.
Hernandez-Harrison was also a key promoter of the Beltway Battles series aimed at reviving the region’s rich boxing history, although for this card the DHH Promotions founder devoted almost all of his attention to the activity inside the ring. .
Boxing trainer Buddy Harrison gunned down in Southeast DC
Events DC officials spoke with Hernandez-Harrison as well as co-promoter Thomas LaManna, president and founder of Rising Star Promotions, by phone Thursday afternoon to discuss the postponement.
Neither Hernandez-Harrison nor LaManna, who is also fighting professionally, responded to text messages regarding the decision to postpone. The two were scheduled to attend a vigil for Harrison Thursday night to be held at the site of the shooting.
“It was a tough decision because, as you can imagine, it’s Thursday, and it’s a decision we’ve been tossing and turning all week, trying to figure out what’s the right thing to do,” said Thomas. “It’s very difficult when you face circumstances like this.”
The Entertainment & Sports Arena is located in Congress Heights, not far from the shooting, and with the suspects still at large, security concerns surrounding the safety of those on the fight card, support staff, customers and site employees were also considered. Organizers said around 2,000 tickets had been sold for Saturday’s event, at a 4,200-capacity facility.
Beltway’s first two battles, held in the same arena, were uneventful. The most recent card was on May 28, with the first installment on October 29, 2021.
“We are fully aware that this is an open case,” Thomas said. “Again with that, there’s a lot on people’s minds right now, and we want people to be able to focus on what they need to focus on and not have to focus on, plus , to put it on a fight. It takes incredible attention to detail to produce an event, and as we worked through the last week, we can see how all of those details added weight to everyone.